IELTS stands for International English Language Testing System and is an internationally recognised English certification. The Australian Government and national universities prefer to use IELTS for measuring your English ability however they do recognise other certifications too.
The IELTS course focuses on developing your skills for the four key areas of English – your vocabulary, reading, writing and speaking skills. These are the areas you will be assessed on. The preparation course aims to enhance your language competencies in order to achieve the highest score on the exam.
The course prepares you for the test and requires for you to have an intermediate entry level of English. If you wish to enrol in an IELTS course, a pre-entry test is required. This is followed by another test on the course start date. Each English college is required to assess your individual language skills prior to the course beginning to ensure you will get the most out of the course.
The IELTS exam score system ranges from 0 to 9. The course is divided into two classes: intermediate and advanced. The Generic Module is Intermediate and Academic Module is Advanced:
The Generic Module – is the traditional IELTS exam for those who require a certificate for social/non-academic purposes, migration requirements (sponsorship or skilled migration) or for admittance to vocational courses (average minimum score 5.5).
The Academic Module – is a more complex IELTS exam for those who need to meet academic entry requirements. The minimum score is usually 6.5.
IELTS Preparation course outline:
- IELTS prep courses are scheduled for 10 – 12 week modules. They can be tailored depending on your requirements and needs too.
- IELTS prep courses have a weekly intake every Monday and are scheduled to be either day or evening classes.
- The IELTS exam can be taken at anytime. You do not need to wait until the end of the course. Exams are held all over the world on scheduled dates – anyone can sit the IELTS exam at these scheduled times.
- The IELTS certificate is equivalent to TOEFL which is more common in North America.
- Both certificates are valid for two years. For migration purposes, IELTS – General is valid for three years.